Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Nipping into B&Q

Yesterday I took a trip to B&Q to price up concrete making ingredients. Of course I got distracted, and spent 40 minutes of my 10 minute trip perusing the gardening section.

I was pleased to find this little collection in the seed display:



I can't justify buying any of them, I have quite a seed collection already, but it's nice to know that seed companies are catching up with the reality faced by many a budding gardener in this country.

The two seeds that I could - just about - have justified bringing home - California poppy (Eschscholzia californica) and Alpine strawberry (Fragaria vesca) were out of stock.

This lovely packet caught my eye. Occasionally a bumblebee will pass through our garden in the depths of winter, and they will probably appreciate the flowers as much me.



My first thought was that they are  hellebores - I've never heard of a Christmas Rose - and my first thought was in fact correct; Helleborus niger to be precise.

With all of the other information that they mange to squeeze onto seed packets - including sowing advice broad enough to cover Land's End to John O' Groats - how hard is it to include a botanical name?

Very hard apparently. A quick flick through my seed tin indicated that over half of them were labelled with a common name only; and Suttons was by far the worst offender.

I've met my newest bugbear, apparently. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...