Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Autumn fig drop

Our little potted fig tree (Ficus carica 'Brown Turkey') finally began to bear fruit this year - in September.

A few days ago, I noticed that two of the five small fruit had dropped off. The wisdom of the internet suggests that the most common cause is drought or inconsistent watering (guilty!); followed by pest, disease and mechanical damage. Perhaps I can blame it on that blasted snail I've just spotted in the picture?


Still, no matter - after watching the latest episode of Gardener's World, I was both reassured and a bit miffed to have Monty Don tell me to remove any figs larger than a pea because they will never reach maturity.

After running Monty's advice via the RHS's excellent advice section, it would appear that my remaining three figs can (not should - I wonder if there are consequences to leaving them on the plant. They are rather pretty) be removed. Embryonic fruits smaller than a pea should be left to ripen next year.

Which is a real shame, because so far, my little tree is devoid of pea size embryonic fruits. Oh well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...